Having some water with lemon can be a good thing - however not for everyone. Lemon is sharp and too much water on an empty stomach for someone with sluggish digestion can weaken one’s digestive fire even more. . . Another way to start your day is with cooked apple.
Single mono foods at the right time of the day can have some very profound effects on your health.
Benefits of stewed apples:
• serves as a gentle daily digestive cleanse
• supports regularity
• strengths digestion
• lowers acidity and hunger
• boosts immunity to help prevent colds and flus .
Cooked apples can be eaten everyday. . If you can peel the apple to increase digestibility.
The warming spices open up your circulatory channels in the body without over heating it.
Why cooked and not raw? Over our 8 hours of sleep our digestive fire in our stomach goes low and in the morning it needs to be rekindled. When we add too much liquid we are smothering the fire or if we eat heavy foods right away we are smothering the fire. Just like a camp fire to rekindle the embers of a fire - we add small twigs and do not add a large log. If we did the fire would go out. Late morning or afternoon is a better time to enjoy a raw apple.
Note: do not consume if you have blood sugar issues.
You can save the cooking liquid to drink as tea later or add to oats.
Remember that the key is to eat it first thing in the morning, as close to the time you get up as possible.
Prep: 1 minute
Cook: 5 minutes
½ cup water
2 whole cloves
1 medium apple, preferably a sweeter variety such as Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Opal, or Pink Lady
For Fiery digestion: Make as it is or substitute a pear for the apple.
For Earthy digestion: Add a 1-inch piece cinnamon stick in Step 1.
1. Start boiling the water and cloves in a small saucepan. In the meantime, peel, core, and chop the apple into bite-size pieces. If you don’t have time to peel it, at least cut the apple into 4 pieces and remove the core.
2. Add the apple pieces to the hot water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the apple is soft and translucent but not mushy.
3. Drain (you can reserve the liquid if you like, let it cool a little, and eat first thing in the morning.
Note: you can substitute raisins , dried prunes or apricots for dates: like apples, all these fruits also contain the cleansing cool of astringent taste. Raisins and prunes especially are lighter then dates and indicated for Kapha imbalance or for someone watching weight.